Built circa 1853, this impressive antebellum mansion in Greek-Revival style was the home of Benjamin Harvey Hill, lawyer and Georgia and United States Congressman. Located near downtown LaGrange, Bellevue was purchased in 1941 by Fuller E. Callaway Foundation and presented as a gift to the LaGrange Woman’s Club. It has been restored and is open to the public for tours.
Biblical History Center
Within a mile of Hills & Dales Estate, ancient history comes alive through full-scale archaeological reconstructions of discoveries from the ancient world. The museum features a goat-hair tent, Old and New Testament tombs, a first century village, 200 year-old olive trees, catacombs and many other historic settings. Guests may enjoy an authentic biblical meal, and young archaeologists will be excited by the kid’s digs.
LaGrange Art Museum
The LaGrange Art Museum was founded in 1963 and is located in downtown LaGrange. The museum occupies a renovated three story 1892 Victorian building. Changing exhibits feature a wide range of artists, and many different art classes are available.
Less than 30 minutes south of Hills & Dales Estate is Callaway Gardens, begun by Fuller E. Callaway’s oldest son, Cason Callaway, in the 1952. Known throughout the southeast for its stunning landscaping, recreation, accommodations, and special events, this spectacular location is enjoyable in every season.
Legacy Museum on Main
Legacy Museum on Main tells the story of the people of West Georgia. Using temporary and permanent exhibits of photographs, artifacts, and documents, the museum brings to life the history and traditions of a population rich in diversity. Housed in a 1917 bank building, the museum is located in the Downtown LaGrange Historic District. Legacy Museum looks at the heritage of West Georgia and challenges visitors to think of how the area will look in the future. The Troup County Archives is located above the museum.
West Point Lake
West Point Lake, one of the largest lakes in Georgia, is conveniently located near LaGrange. The lake covers over 25,000 acres and provides excellent opportunities for fishing, camping, boating and other recreational activities at 25 different day use areas. The West Point Lake Visitor Center, located off of Hwy 29, features interpretive exhibits and additional information about the lake and dam.
Roosevelt’s Little White House & FDR State Park
Franklin D. Roosevelt built this house in 1932. He came to Warm Springs in 1924 hoping to find a cure for polio by swimming in the “warm buoyant spring waters.” Today, an 11,000 square foot museum features many interesting artifacts. Guests can also visit the historic therapeutic pools. The president passed away here on April 12, 1945. The house has been preserved as it was the day he died and is open for tours daily. Located ¼ mile north is the small town of Warm Springs which features quaint shops and dining. Camping and hiking is available at Roosevelt State Park which is located nearby.