The Fuller E. Callaway family home was designed by the noted architectural firm of Hentz & Reid from Atlanta.
Mr. Callaway commissioned Hal Hentz and Neel Reid in 1913 and the design was completed in 1914. The home was officially opened on June 15, 1916 when Fuller and Ida celebrated their 25th wedding anniversary.
Hentz & Reid decided to locate the home on the site of the old Ferrell house which sat on the crest of the hill overlooking the garden and the surrounding countryside. Hentz & Reid were classically trained architects and drew their design inspiration from the Italianate character of the existing terraced boxwood garden. The Italian elements of the home were carefully blended with Georgian architectural details to create what Neel Reid called Georgian Italian. The use of stucco, Indiana limestone, and terra-cotta roof tiles for construction further accentuated the Italian villa look.
The 30-room home encompasses approximately 13,000 square feet of living space. Mr. Callaway hired Adair & Weinmeister to oversee construction. W.J. Cleckler served as the building superintendent and his son Forrest D. Cleckler served as the timekeeper who kept track of numerous laborers who worked on the project. Mr. Callaway’s personal secretary, Ab Perry, handled correspondence and did most of the administrative work required to secure supplies and materials to build the home. Detailed records of the building process survive and provide much insight into the construction process. Construction was scheduled to begin in 1914, but was delayed due to the outbreak of WWI. Construction began in March of 1915 and the entire project was completed in 15 months at a total cost of approximately $125,000.
The exterior of the home has remained essentially unchanged since 1916. Hills and Dales is considered to be one of the finest homes designed by Hentz & Reid. The success of the project greatly advanced their careers and secured their reputation as one of the most important architectural firms in the Eastern United States.