exit





To submit form, pull the slider from left to right
with your mouse and click subscribe.

Mask Mask Mask Mask
earlier years later years

1832

Mickelberry and Nancy C. Ferrell acquired the land and built their home in LaGrange. Nancy started what developed into Ferrell Gardens.

1835

Sarah C. Ferrell, daughter of Mickleberry and Nancy Ferrell, married her double first cousin Blount C. Ferrell.

1841

Sarah and Blount Ferrell returned to LaGrange from Marianna, Florida, and Sarah started expanding her mother’s garden.

1865

Union troops marched through LaGrange but Ferrell Gardens was spared.

1872

“The Terraces,” also known as Ferrell Gardens, received wide acclaim for their beauty. Visitors praised the Gardens as the “finest in 30 states.”

1882

Blount Ferrell home described as having "elegant parlors" "thronged with the beauty and fashion of LaGrange, tables filled with every delicacy…"

1890

Ferrells offered to sell their home and grounds to LaGrange for use as a city park and cemetery but the council refused to ratify Mayor E. D. Pitman’s offer.

1894

The novel Vesta written by Sarah’s sister, Florida P. Reed, used Ferrell Gardens as the setting and Ferrell family members inspired the characters.

1903

Sarah Ferrell died after tending to Ferrell Gardens for over 60 years.

1908

Judge Blount Ferrell died and Ferrell Gardens were left untended until 1911.

1911

Fuller E. Callaway, who had great success in the textile business, purchased the 90 acre Ferrell place for $8,000.

1913

Hentz and Reid architects were commissioned by the Callaways to design their new home.

1916

Callaways renamed the property Hills and Dales and their home was completed. The official opening was a celebration of Fuller and Ida Cason Callaway’s 25th wedding anniversary.

1919

International Cotton Exposition was held at Hills and Dales en route between Atlanta and New Orleans. Journalist Ida Tarbell and statesman William Jennings Bryan visited the home.

1919

Country Life Magazine featured a story on Hills and Dales. The house and garden was featured in House and Garden Magazine, House Beautiful Magazine, and a book "Beautiful Gardens of America" by Louise Shelton.

1920

Fuller and Ida held a large wedding reception at Hills and Dales for their son, Cason, and his bride Virginia Hand.

1928

Fuller died at Hills & Dales. Employees of his numerous enterprises contributed to build a memorial tower in his honor. The tower was erected in 1929.

1932

100th anniversary of Ferrell Gardens was celebrated by Mrs. Fuller E. Callaway, Sr. who hosted a large luncheon for the Garden Club of America.

1936

Ida Cason Callaway died at Hills and Dales.

1936

Fuller E. Callaway, Jr., with his wife Alice Hand and their two children, moved into Hills and Dales.

1937

The gardens at Hills and Dales were open to visitors as part of the first Georgia Garden Pilgrimage.

1948

The interior was partially redecorated with designs by Philip Trammel Shutze and interior decorator Sarah King Small of Atlanta.

1950

Fuller E. Callaway, Jr. held his first Hereford cattle sale at Hills and Dales, the first of many "Hills and Dales Dispersions".

1984

Alice Hand Callaway and Ferrell Gardens were featured in The American Woman’s Garden by Rosemary Verey and Ellen Samuels.

1985

On January 21st, LaGrange temperatures dipped to -5 degrees Fahrenheit, a 100 year low.The cold killed many camellias, sentinel boxwood, and other ornamental plants at Ferrell Gardens.

1992

Fuller E. Callaway, Jr. died.

1995

The video, “Ferrell Gardens: A Growing History” featuring Alice Hand Callaway and Ida Callaway Hudson, was produced by the Troup County Historical Society.

1998

Alice Hand Callaway died at Hills and Dales. The property was bequeathed to Fuller E. Callaway Foundation with request that it be used for the enjoyment and instruction of the public. Alice had cultivated the gardens at for 62 years.

2000

Hills & Dales Estate initiates 5th grade educational program.

2003

Fuller E. Callaway Foundation breaks ground on the new Hills & Dales Estate Visitor Center.

2004

Hills and Dales Estate formally opened to the public.

2006

Hills & Dales Estate initiates bi-annual newsletter The Portico and begins offering seasonal educational programs.

2008

Hills & Dales: A Living Legacy DVD is completed.

2009

Fuller E. Callaway Foundation begins 2nd & 3rd floor restoration project.

2010

On April 28, 2010 the 2nd and 3rd floor of the Callaway home were opened for public tours after a multi-million dollar restoration project.